PWAM: Day 7

I was spoiled today by Mom...
She made northern beans with onions and probably butter for me to put over rice.  It tasted delicious.  The rest of the family also had chicken baked with onions and carrots, gravy, salads, bread, and applesauce. 
So today was the last day of my project, and I'm feeling a strong pull towards guilt.  Guilt that I get to have this be only a project.  Guilt that I have the privilege of coming to the end of it.  Guilt that I am so looking forward to eating more and other foods.
Does this guilt come from God?  I think not.  
So what conclusions can I draw from this project? 
Basically, it comes down to this:
I am immeasurably blessed.  That's the truth.
Every good gift is from my ever loving King.  That's the truth.
That "ever loving" part?  It blows my mind.  He loves me more than I can imagine and I believe He delights in giving me good gifts and delights in seeing me enjoy them. 
I don't need to feel guilty over receiving what He gives me. 
The cool thing is, when I really get a firm, solid grip on the extravagance of His love and how limitless His resources are and how absolutely trustworthy He is, then I have the motivation to give as He gives to me.  Because He gives and gives and gives, I can give and give and give.  Isn't that what Jesus said?  "Freely you have received, freely give." 
So do I need to feel guilty about what my God has given me?  No way.
Am I motivated to live with an open heart and open hands towards the poor and needy?  Absolutely.
Am I willing to sacrifice to the point where it cramps my luxurious lifestyle?  Yes.  As a daughter of the King, as one who is in Christ, my answer is yes.  It's what my Jesus did.  Paul says it like this, in Philippians chapter 2 (from The Living Bible):  "Your attitude should be the kind that was shown us by Jesus Christ, who, though He was God, did not demand and cling to his rights as God, but laid aside his mighty power and glory, taking the disguise of a slave and becoming like men.  And he humbled himself even further, going so far as actually to die a criminal's death on a cross."
Some of the way this works out in my life you might never see.  Some of it you might see.  The part you'll probably see the most is advocacy and aid for orphans.  I will not stop speaking up for them, because they cannot speak up for themselves.  I will not be silent.  I will not ignore them. 

So has this week taught me what it is like to be poor and hungry?  No, of course not.  How could it?  What it has done is given me some insight into some of the "hungry" parts and it has increased my compassion.

I end simply with this.  I am my Father's daughter.  He has given me His Spirit to be with me and guide me.  I will walk in faith, trusting that as I follow Him, He will show me more of who He is and who I am in Him.  That will naturally translate into a life that glorifies Him, not me.  Such a life is an adventure.  Bring it on!

Comments