PWAM: Day 3

So today I decided to eat my rice and beans for supper instead of lunch.  I knew that my responsibilities at work would be light today, as far as actual "physical labor".  I was able to do a lot of sitting today whereas yesterday I was carrying boxes and going up and down stairs.  Surely, I thought, I will be ready and excited to eat my rice and beans for supper.  Especially since I planned to make fresh rice and use black beans.  The kidney bean flavor just seemed too gross and I thought the black beans would be better.

Think again.

I ended up practically forcing myself to eat the plain rice.  And when I was finished with that I forced down some beans.  Black beans taste almost exactly like kidney beans.  Bummer.  I loaded them with salt and pepper, ate a few, and called it enough.

How can I be so hungry yet not want to eat?  How can I be so picky?  Am I not hungry enough? 

Tomorrow and Saturday (Friday is my day off) I will make myself eat at lunchtime again, as work will not be quite so relaxed and I will need the energy.

A little about why I chose to wear my glasses this week instead of my contacts:
My glasses look kind of like this, but without the D&G, haha.
Photo from Google Images.
I have needed glasses since the fourth grade.  How blessed I've been to always be able to have glasses with the right prescription!  I remember a box in the church basement, on a high shelf, where discarded glasses could be donated to an organization that distributed them to, well to put it bluntly, poor people.  People who had no access to or couldn't afford eye care.  What a good idea, right?  I wonder if most of those people were lucky enough to be matched with a pair of glasses that were actually the right prescription.  And if they were, did they like the glasses?  How many women had to wear masculine glasses, and vice versa?  Did they really care about what the glasses looked like or was it good enough to be able to see properly?  I don't know.  What I do know, is that the right lenses, in frames I picked out and could afford to pay for, are a blessing.  So, contact lenses really are an unnecessary luxury. 

Ouch.   I don't like to say that.  And I'm not sure what that will mean for me in the future.  I like my contacts.  I like my face to look the way God made it.  I like the convenience of not having glasses to get steamed over or rain-dropped.  And my nose likes to be free (hopefully not free to be stuck up in the air while I look down at people).

Today's luxuries:

6.)  The luxury of easy work today.  I wasn't slaving away at manual labor with an empty stomach.  Another blessing is being able to work with other Christians.

7.)  The luxury of choosing a different kind of beans this evening.  Even though the idea kind of flopped.  Now I have lots of rice and beans in the fridge.  Two kinds!  I can choose between them!

8.)  The luxury of getting away.  For my lunch break I was able to skip out on the temptation to covet other lunches in the lunchroom and go to the library instead.  I even drove my car instead of hop-skip-jumping through the chilly drizzly showers that wanted to do their part bringing May flowers.

Just so you know, when I post tomorrow evening, I will be over half way finished!

Comments

Praying for you again this morning....
Anonymous said…
I cannot imagine not wanting to eat rice and beans if I wasn't eating anything else for several days. :) I like to eat too well. But who knows, maybe it's the variety that I love. I heard somewhere that the best way to lose weight is to eat the same (healthy) thing everyday - you won't have trouble with overeating, in fact you won't eat more than you have to after awhile. So then again, maybe I can imagine your predicament. Yesterday at Aaron's school they had a hunger awareness lunch. He picked a number that put him in the poor category and he had to share a bowl of rice with 9 other kids. Some kids were the "rich" with a 3 course meal. Some were beggars, etc. It sounded like a good experience for him. Thanks again for sharing your experiences... Melanie