PWAM, Day 1

Day 1 is pretty much over.  Let me tell you about it.
My morning got off to a sort of sluggish start.  I was tired from a fun but, well, tiring weekend away.  So, there I was, sleepy, but without coffee to jump start me.  I like to think that I am not addicted to coffee, because I don't get a headache if I don't drink it, but I guess I'm addicted to it a little anyway.  The sleepiness plagued me off and on throughout the day.

The morning at work went OK, but I was certainly looking forward to lunch, and didn't mind eating before noon.

I ate my rice and beans while sitting in the beautiful, warm, spring sunshine.
I had packed for myself a generous serving of rice and beans (Jasmine rice cooked and then a can of kidney beans mixed in, seasoned with a bit of S&P- all things that were already in the pantry).  The food tasted good, and I was full when I finished.  Even felt a little too full. 

You wanna know how long it lasted?  'Til about 5:00.  I've been hungry since then.

The thought of food practically consumes me.  It's what I'm thinking about probably at least 75% of the time (just a guess).  Strangely enough, though, I don't even want to think about eating rice and beans again!  Right now, I think I would hardly be able to choke it down even if it was offered to me (if I still feel picky about what I want to eat, I must not be as hungry as I feel I am!), but hopefully by tomorrow lunch that will change!  And even though I'm thinking about food and my own hunger so much, I'm also thinking more than I normally do about the people who are living very similarly to this.  People who are hungry most of the time, and not because they're doing some sort of experiment.

While this day has had it's not so fun parts, I want to list just a few of the luxuries that I have still been enjoying.  I'll keep adding to this list through the week.

1.)  The Luxury of Choice:  I got to choose to do this.  That in itself is a huge luxury.  I got to choose exactly which week I wanted to do it.  I could fit it into my schedule just the way I wanted to avoid times I knew it would be especially hard.  For example, I chose to do it after my weekend away, but before Easter.  I also got to choose my rules.
2.)  The Luxury of Clean, Good, Abundant Water:  Water for cooking, drinking, washing.  I am never more than a few seconds' walk from all the water I want for anything I want.  I can have it hot or cold or any temperature in between.
3.)  The Luxury of Knowing:  I know that I will have another meal tomorrow.  I don't have to wonder if I will be able to find anything to eat.  I can plan when I eat my meal.  I know that it was made in a sanitary place and that it is safe to eat.

I love reading comments!
Aunt Brenda, I know you and your siblings did experience a lot that I don't even know about.  Thanks for adding your perspective!
Part of my thoughts this week have been and will be about how to enjoy the good gifts and blessings God has given me without hoarding them or living in gluttonous extravagance.

Comments

Jeannie Donaldson said…
I have a general idea of what you are doing, and I am proud of you for realizing how blessed you truly are. My prayers are with you this week - may you learn invaluable lessons! God bless you! Jeannie, ptL